Thursday, September 15, 2011

Arguing with one's self is the first sign of sanity


My parents are in love. They have been married for 26 years. Their relationship has always been unquestionable to me. It’s never been something I admired, or dreamed about. It was just normal. The relationship is so perfect it goes unnoticed. Sure they fight. Sure they annoy each other. But there has never been a doubt in my mind that they were not going to be married to each other forever.

I guess that’s a good feeling. Security. But like I said before. I never really notice it, think about it, take time to be grateful. Occasionally I think about the anomaly of my family. We all get along great. I never was concerned with my parents getting divorced as a child.

I recently just watched my best friend’s parents go through one of the ugliest divorces. THAT made me stop and think. How lucky I am. How lucky my parents are. How likely it will be that I manage to find a relationship equal to theirs. How unlikely it will be that my best friend finds a relationship equal to theirs.

It may sound cynical, but growing up with such a positive relationship as guidance, I think gives me a better chance at finding a similar situation.

That being said, I think I put extreme pressure on every relationship I’m in, to try and make it measure up to my parents. That combined with my freakish obsession with Disney movies has given me some very unrealistic expectations when it comes to relationships.

 My mom says that her friendship with my dad is what kept them together all these years. She says that romance, chemistry and butterflies come in and out of relationships, but a strong friendship will always stay. So I guess that’s the first thing I want.

Friendship.

I want someone who I can talk to. About everything. Although, I feel like everything may be an excessive goal. I want someone who is actually interested in the things I say. Someone who understands the things I say. Someone who I don’t mind listening to and who I can understand. At the end of the day, when something happens to me, I want to want to tell that person.

No comments:

Post a Comment