Monday, October 18, 2010

Dreaming of the days of Toasty Strudel

Ok, how about a simple topic. The weather? It really is about the third question I’m asked every time I speak to someone back home. Not always interesting, but ALWAYS entertaining.
Bordeaux has been quite docile so far. When I arrived it was quite hot, maybe getting to 85. But generally it’s between 65-75. There was one day of INSANE rain, and heavy wind, but no need to worry I brought my awesome Bellingham-Northface rain jacket. Other than that, it’s usually quite nice, although lately, it’s getting much colder; I don’t think that it will get above 60 today.

These lowering temperatures raise some important questions. Clothing seems to be a big issue, I only brought one sweat shirt…big mistake. Also, I only brought one pair of simple-everyday shoes. I don’t really know what I was thinking, but as the weather gets frosty, I think my toes will too. Eek.

Another issue to be held is my blanket. While I was thrilled to be spending only 7 euro on a blanket at Ikea, I think it will soon be failing to keep me warm at night. This is not helped by the fact that we can’t turn on the heat. It’s not a physical question, it’s simply that CROUS (the rental company) refuses to give us heat. This does not seem very hospitable to me, but that’s just coming from someone who’s a little cold.

My last issue is that the US uses Fahrenheit. There is really a point where we should just give in. We should just switch to Celsius, for the sake of the exchange students! When people are discussing the weather, I am never able to participate! Beyond that, I just get confused. Here is a sample conversation:
“How was the beach?”
“Oh it was great! It was 30 degrees!”
“Oh, that’s not good….” You see, in my American brain, that is quite nippy noodles (below freezing, eegads!), while the other person (because really they could be ANY nationality) is just thinking I’m crazy. As it turns out, 30 degrees is quite warm. Who knew?

No comments:

Post a Comment