Thursday, October 7, 2010

Maybe I lied

So last week was actually pretty exciting! So I will be telling stories, rather than the general information that I promised last time.

Hokay. So. On Friday we went to the Férias. When we heard about it we got the impression it had something to do with cows. Later we heard bulls. So we really had no idea what to expect. So when we got off the tram we were shocked to see a circus looking situation in Place de Victoire (a typically open space, albeit filled with people mulling about)

So we wander in (it was free!) and start walking to a side that the security (?) told us to sit on. Luckily, before we reached that side we realized that ALL the other BEM students were sitting on the other side, so in our brilliance we joined them. This ended up being a very good idea considering the Férias ended up being a competition between BEM and Bordeaux 4.

Now, you are probably wondering what this competition involved. Well, teams of "brave" souls from each school got to enjoy the sport of being in the ring with a bull. Now, these bulls are much smaller than the typical rodeo bull, or Spanish bull fighting bull, but they are still large bovines with all the angry attitude. So each game involved different things. On game was trying to get the bull to walk through the pond, another one was potato sack racing (while a bull is chasing you), filling a bucket up with water, getting the bull to run through your hoop. This was one of the strangest things I've ever seen. I just don't really get the "sport" of it. I don't feel bad for the idiots who volunteer, but the bulls! They don't have a choice.

None of my pictures really describe the epic strangeness of the experience....

The next day I was without Taylor because she decided to go on the BEM trip to Spain. I was thinking I had nothing to do that day...just sitting on facebook and my Swedish friend Oliver says, come to Saint Emilion. I jump on the tram, run into some other exchange students and we find our way to the train station. As soon as we know it, the train is off and we run into some other people.

In total, there were probably 10 of us, but we split up into 2 groups (the ones that did and didn't eat lunch). We spent the day wandering around the adorable town and wine tasting. Saint Emilion is surrounded by vineyard and chateaus. Gorgeous to say the least. It's pretty touristy, but we definitely brought down the median age of the tourists by at least 20 years. Good food was eaten, wine was drunk, and I'm getting better at drinking it. (I will like wine by the end of this trip dang it!!!)














The weekend was different. It was nice to be without the Americans for a bit (not that the Canadians are that much different haha) but I still managed to entertain myself. That being said, I missed Taylor....

No comments:

Post a Comment