Sunday, September 5, 2010

Paris, I am through with you

My last day in Paris was very very lazy. Which was nice. We woke up late and attempted to find a market that was open. Apparently all of Paris shuts down on Sundays (besides the touristy things of course). We finally managed to find one and had nice simple omelettes for brunch. (Did I mention I got to talk to MY Matt that morning? Yay!!)
Then we lazed around a bit and I decided it was time for me to move. I took the train the the Louvre which was insane! The first Sunday of every month is free day at all the national museums in France (which is nice for those people who normally have to pay, but doesn't really make a difference to students like me...)
I saw all the usual sights there, and just enjoyed watching the hordes of people. The Mona Lisa had a mob around her, you'd think that it was Mickey Mouse or something. Seriously, for such a tiny Italian painting France probably makes millions of dollars (although not on free day...) ridiculous!
I wandered down the Champs Elysees and rested here and there just people watching. The sidewalk was disgustingly full of tourists I didn't feel like making the effort to get closer to the Arc de Triomphe. I saw it, waved, and got back on the metro.
On the way back to the apartment I attempted to find more food (thank goodness for Muslim families or I would have starved)
All in all, Paris is very different than I remembered. I don't know if it's the jet lag, or the fact that I have to be responsible for myself but Paris just wore me out. I am physically exhausted (all the walking) and mentally exhausted (speaking French, not knowing where I am, stress about money and where I'm going to live, being homesick (which I have never experienced before)). Everything has just made me loose my appetite and feel very beat.

No comments:

Post a Comment